Your website is a software product that is made up of the WordPress ‘core’, your ‘theme’ software and a collection of plugins. Updates for these software components are released continuously throughout the year and provide:
- Enhanced security
- Performance improvements
- Compatibility and stability improvements
- New features
If these updates are not routinely applied, your website will slowly become out of date and at risk of stability issues and security breaches.
We do update the core security components for you automatically. These are the most essential parts of your website – you can think of them as your operating system and anti-virus / firewall:
- WordPress core
- You Internet Security plugin
The remaining software on your website (plugins and themes) are there to provide enhanced features, although they can contain security vulnerabilities that the authors fix with patches and updates. Upgrading these components can however introduce errors to your website ranging from visual glitches to performance and stability problems. For this reason, we need to perform a system test as part of the upgrade and fix any issues that are introduced.
These are the components we will upgrade if you choose the software upgrade option on your renewal form:
- Your theme files
- All other plugins
Do you need select the option to upgrade your website?
Your website is extremely secure, and in most cases will continue to do what it does now indefinitely. However some businesses will want to know that everything on there websites is fully up to date. As a general guide:
- If your website stores customer information – upgrade annually
- If your website is business critical – upgrade annually
- If your brand would be highly impacted by a security breach on your website – upgrade annually
- If you want the latest features and capabilities for authoring your site – upgrade annually
- If you are seeing errors on your site that were not there at launch – upgrade as required
- Everyone else – we suggest every 3 years
Each year when you renew your website, there is an option on your renewal form to request a software upgrade. If you are on our “Basic Hosting” plan, this is a fixed priced option. If you are on one of our higher support plans, the cost can be covered by your support credit balance.
If you would like to request a software upgrade at any other time, please contact us directly.